You guys. Last week, I crossed off two of my bucket list items! TWO! And all thanks to the company I work for. For a celebration for reaching our goal, they took the whole company to Orlando. And we did it in style! Parties, food, theme parks, shows, booze (lord, a little too much booze…). While I was there I got to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (first trip bucket list item achieved). It was everything I’d always dreamed it would be! I think my cheeks are still hurting from smiling! (The proof is below!) Bucket list item number two was having a theme park to myself. They closed down Universal Studios one night for us. It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced! I must have ridden the Rockin’ Roller Coaster 5 times.
But, no great thing comes without a price. (That’s a saying, right?) I totally jacked up my back and hips from all the walking, rides, and dancing. So since I’ve been back in Dallas, I’ve pretty much camped out on the couch and bed for several days. Yesterday, I finally decided to go see my doctor in addition to the chiropractic treatment I’ve been receiving. She gave me a miracle shot and last night I finally had some relief! (Too bad it was temporary, but I’ll take it!)
Since I was feeling better for a bit, I had to scratch my cooking itch and get myself in the kitchen. I needed to make something quick so I wasn’t on my feet long, something comforting since I’m being a huge baby about all this, and lastly something that had some sort of nutrients. (I listed that third because at the time, it was definitely in far third place.)
I made this ooey, gooey, Italian Sausage, Tortellini and Zucchini bake and it totally hit the spot! It took about 15 minutes of hands on time, then the rest finished up in the oven while my new best friend, the ice pack, and I hung out. I hope you enjoy this easy comfort food!!
- 1 20 oz. package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 small zucchini, diced
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a large skillet, brown the Italian sausage. Transfer the sausage to a large bowl when done.
- In the same skillet add the diced zucchini and cook for 3 minutes. Add the diced onion to the pan and cook till the onions are translucent. The zucchini should be nice and soft at this point. If not, cook a little longer until they are.
- Add the zucchini/onion mixture to the bowl with the sausage. Add in the can of crushed tomatoes, uncooked tortellini and 1½ cup shredded mozzarella. Stir well till everything is combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Increase the heat to 400, uncover the dish and bake for 15 more minutes.